Monday 22 April 2013

Shucked

Shucked was highly recommended to me for it's corn fritters. I was forewarned that there wasn't much to Shucked, very small, terrible service but great food. Sounded typical of any popular brunch spot in Brisbane these days. 

Shucked is located behind Austral Honda on a commercial street in Newstead. There were cars parked all along the side streets and seeing as it was outside business hours and the only cafe in sight, everyone must've been there for a Shucked breakfast.

The main seating area inside the cafe was completely full so I ended up in the outdoor seating which looked like it once used to be an alley way. The brick walls were now covered in quirky contemporary artwork. Some of the tables and chairs were a tad too small for the average bloke and some were just crates with cardboard on top. This all fitted in nicely with their trendy laid back fit out but wasn't very comfortable to eat at.



 Stone the Crows - Corn and feta fritters w. hollandaise, tomato relish and avocado



Whoever thought to put the winning eggs benny sauce on top of delicious savoury fritters was a genius. These fritters were light and fluffy and had a great kick to it thanks to the feta. Mixed in with the hollandaise and tangy tomato relish, it was perfect. I felt the avocado was unncessary and in hind sight, I probably shouldn't have ordered it as an extra as it got a bit too creamy when eaten altogether.

Cactus Jack - Savoury mince with poached eggs, pita chips, lemon, sourcream and coriander


The savoury mince was good, definitely one of the better ones I've had. The mince had a lot of spices through it which gave it a lot of flavour. Together with the poached egg and crispy pita chips, it was great. I recommend it if you enjoy your mexican flavours.

As for the service, they were doing pretty well considering how busy it was. Our food came out at a reasonable time and my complicated coffee order was correct (skinny flat white 3/4 filled with milk). There were so many other great sounding dishes on the menu, I wish I had dined in with more people so I could have a bit of everything! I will definitely be back; the French Kiss - Eggy brioche bread with bacon, caremlized banana, maple syrup and toffeed nuts sounds like a winner. I love Canadian style breakfasts.

My advice is to get in early (before 10am) to avoid the line and definitely to try the fritters. 

Review
Shucked Coffee House
9 Creswell St
NEWSTEAD
QLD 4006


Shucked Coffee House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment