Tuesday 26 February 2013

Ga Roti Recipe - Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken

This is a typical midweek dish in my family's household. It's so easy to make, full of flavour and is a great leftover dish.

Ga Roti - Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken
The name Ga Roti literally translates to chicken rotisserie. Vietnam was once colonized by the French and a lot of our cooking is heavily influenced by French cuisine. The dish is funnily enough, not cooked on a rotisserie and most of the time isn't even cooked in an oven. My parents tell me it's because most families could not afford a proper oven back then so they adapted the dish to a braising method which is typical of Vietnamese cuisine.

My recipe tries to get the best of both methods. First by braising it until the chicken has absorbed all the lovely braising liquid and then a quick roast under a hot grill to get that crispy skin. Ga Roti is better suited for the darker cuts of chicken like thighs (bone in), legs, maryland etc. I have tried this using thigh cutlets with no skin and it still tastes great - just no crispy skin to indulge in! I also serve this with a fried rice made from the left over sauce.

Ga Roti - Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken

Ga Roti - Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken

Ga Roti - Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken

Ga Roti - Vietnamese Rotisserie Chicken Rice

Ingredients
4 Maryland chicken pieces (approx 1.5kg)
Juice from 1 fresh young coconut or 1 can coconut water
2 tablespoon vegetable oil + 1 teaspoon extra
3 green onions, thinly sliced
6 cups of cooked rice, preferably day old rice

Marinade
2.5 tablespoon light soy sauce
2.5 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon five star spice
8 drops sesame oil 

Method

1. Pierce the chicken in random spots all over with a thin knife or a fork. This will help marinade it better.

2. In a wide base bowl, add all the marinade ingredients and mix together. Then add the chicken into the bowl and using your hands, rub the chicken in the marinade. Let it sit for 6-8hrs in the fridge or overnight if possible.

3. In a heavy duty pan, heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add the chicken skin side down. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. You may need to do this in batches.

4. Once all seared on both sides, add the remaining marinade juices into the pan along with the coconut water. 

5. Bring to the boil for 1 minute and then switch to a very low simmer. Cover for 15-20minutes until the sauce has reduced to a third.Preheat your oven now to 200c with the grill setting on.

6. Once the sauce has reduced to a third, remove the chicken and place on a wire rack skin side up. Place directly under the grill for a further 5-7minutes or until skin is crispy. Careful not to burn the skin.

7.  With the remaining sauce in the pan, reserve half in a dipping bowl for serving. Heat up the rest in the same pan on medium heat. Add a teaspoon of cooking oil and then add in the green onions. Cook until onions have slightly wilted.

8. Add in the rice and mix until it has all combined with the sauce. Season with salt and serve with the chicken. Drizzle the chicken with some of the reserved sauce. This is best eaten with a fresh salad, mainly of cucumber, lettuce and tomato.
 

17 comments:

  1. This recipe is so damn good, just gotta make sure to follow it carefully

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I made this for dinner tonight, and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Oh that is cool!!! I can't wait to make this for our feast :)
    coupon dunia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the appropriate blog for anyone who desires to search out out about this topic. You realize a lot its nearly onerous to argue with you (not that I really would want�HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just nice! important link

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Firefox. Do you have any solutions to help fix this issue? look at these guys

    ReplyDelete
  6. There may be jacksonville seo expert an easy method in making income without having being employed on your own ill along with devoid of the your complete moment. You can use the facility belonging to the Internet for you to earn more money and possess plenty of time to really love this website. Despite exactly how bit of you know about the World wide web or perhaps how much company encounter you�ve, you�ll be able to utilize a variety of fantastic prospects to generate capital suitable during your computer. description

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... https://vietnamesebestsalad.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. https://vietnamesefoodsingapore.mystrikingly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m going to read this. I’ll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article... get vietnamese salad to buy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent website! I adore how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am questioning how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. Looking for more new updates. Have a great day! price of holland village food

    ReplyDelete
  11. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. vietnamese food delivery

    ReplyDelete
  12. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! https://vietnamese-foods-site.yolasite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad I found this web site, I couldn't find any knowledge on this matter prior to.Also operate a site and if you are ever interested in doing some visitor writing for me if possible feel free to let me know, im always look for people to check out my web site. https://penzu.com/p/c7177d3d

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. best vietnamese food

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. vietnamese salad price

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first time visit to your blog and I am very interested in the articles that you serve. Provide enough knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful and don't forget, keep sharing useful info: vietnamese food to buy

    ReplyDelete