Monday 17 September 2012

Healthy Breakfast Muffins Recipe

With all the rich food I eat on my weekends, I have to try and maintain a healthy and balanced diet during the week. Given our busy lifestyles, it's so easy to miss breakfast. And we've heard it all before, DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST. This is not a myth, I always want a toasted cheese sandwich instead of a healthy salad come lunch time if I skip breakfast. By making a batch of these on Sunday, it can last for the rest of the week and are easy to grab and have on the go in the morning.

I do not believe in eating boring and tasteless food for the sake of being healthy. If you play around with healthy ingredients you can definitely make a winning dish. These muffins are low fat, low sugar, high in energy and taste almost like a normal banana muffin. I usually have two of these in the morning, plus a handful of almonds (12 to be exact) and it keeps me going until lunch time. Because I store them in the fridge, I usually pop them in the microwave for 20seconds before eating to soften them up. I added fruits in the picture below, these were leftovers from my berry salad.




Ingredients
1.5 cups of wholemeal rolled oats, blitzed in a blender to make it finer
1 teaspoon of baking powder
8 satchets or 8 teaspoons of Natvia sweetener. You can use sugar if you like, same quantities
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon of chia seeds (optional)
1 teaspoon of Acai berry powder (optional)
3 egg whites (or 2 whole eggs if you don't want to waste the yolk)
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of your choice filling - berries/apples/mashed pumpkin etc

Method
1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together and make a well in the centre.
3. In a large jug or bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork until everything just comes together. Add your choice of filling and mix it in. You don't need to overwork the batter.
5. Spoon the batter into a 12 hole muffin tin (I find it usually makes about 11 full muffins) and bake for 20-30mins.


2 comments:

  1. Yum; gorgeous photos as usual! I like to do grab and go carby breakfasts too (energy for the morning then no carbs at night). Usually muffins or toast. Yours look great! I JUST found this recipe for low fat oat muffins this week too so I'll send you the recipe when I post it up. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes link me please! Always looking for new breakfast ideas. I'm rotating around these muffins and frittatas, need a new one.

      Delete