Monday 5 November 2012

COYO - Coconut Milk Yoghurt

When I came across Coyo from a colleague, it opened up a new healthy breakfast option for me. Finally I can enjoy yoghurt for breakfast. Not only is it naturally sweet, it is dairy free which keeps my stomach at bay in the morning. I know that most health fanatics are reaching for Greek yoghurt as it carries hardly any calories and keeps you full. But I find its sour taste makes it harder to enjoy as a regular yoghurt. I tend to only use Greek yoghurt in smoothies or cooking. I am also weary of 'greek style' yoghurt which uses gelatine as a thickener, rather than the traditional strained method. So Coyo is a great alternative for people like me.



I think with all the sudden coconut craze, Coyo has had a big boost in the market and now it's more accessible. You can find it at most IGAs, gourmet delis and big fruit and vege' stores. However, it comes with a hefty price tag (approx $9 a container). Health conscious people are adding coconut water to their diet and switching olive oil for coconut oil. So switching regular yoghurt for coconut yoghurt doesn't sound so strange anymore.

It has a high fat content but this is all natural and is good for you. I compared COYO's carbohydrate quantity to light Greek yoghurt at the supermarket and it's considerably lower. COYO was sitting at 4.6g per 100g whilst Greek yoghurt was at a around 14g per 100g. Not bad for something that in my opinion, tastes better.



I usually enjoy the yoghurt with fresh blueberries, strawberries or nectarines. Whatever fruit I have on me really. I eat about 1/4 of a tub per serving. That amount plus the fruits keep me full until lunch time. The texture can only be described as fluffy, almost pavlova like and the taste is sweet with just a hint of coconut.

I highly recommend this yoghurt for everyone. I know some people don't like it and has described it as 'too healthy tasting' but the majority of my colleagues can't get enough of it. I would also consider using this as a replacement for fresh cream, perhaps to top pavlovas or trifles - desserts with a fruity element.

http://www.coyo.com.au/

4 comments:

  1. Coconut fat is GOOD for you (read: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html); plus it's <5g of sugar per 100g (anything <6g is negligible) and as you know, coconut products taste naturally sweet. I love the idea of that instead of cream on dessert. I hope to find some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the heads up, i used to love yogurt but i can't enjoy it anymore because of my lactose intolerance :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by eating coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from large medicinal magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! veganalternative

    ReplyDelete