Monday 1 October 2012

Kale Chips Recipe

If you're ever craving potato chips or want something crunchy to go with your sandwich, try having kale chips as a healthy alternative. Ever since making them for the first time a month ago, I've made a batch every week. Everyone who has tried these think they're deep fried because of how insanely crispy they are, but the crispyness comes from dehydrating the kale. In its raw form, it is very stiff so instead of wilting under heat like most green vegetables, it crispens up. And for those of you on a low carb diet? Here is your mid afternoon fix!

Have a go at these and if you don't like them, I'd like to hear from you because I'm yet to find someone who doesn't like it.




Ingredients:
1 bunch of curly leaf kale
Good quality extra virgin olive oil (I used cold pressed Red Island Australia)
Sea salt
Your choice in spices. I used Cayenne pepper

Method:
1.  Wash the kale and let it dry. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 100-120 degree C depending on how strong your oven is.
2. Remove the stem off the kale and then cut the leaves into 3 inch sections, keeping in mind they shrivel up by at least half the size when baked.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper/alfoil. Place the cut leaves on the tray and drizzle lightly with the olive oil.You do not need a lot, mine works out to be approx 1-2tablespoon per batch.
4. Using your fingers, massage the oil into the leaves to ensure every bit is lightly coated in oil. Sprinkle over the sea salt and spices.
5. Bake in the oven for 40minutes or until they are crispy. I keep them in a zip lock sandwich bag but they don't necessarily need to be stored in airtight conditions. I'd like to say it lasts at least a week, but they're normally all gone within 2-3days so I'm not certain about the shelf life.

Kale Chips - Baked curly leaf kale


Note: I get my kale from the Sunday Organic Market @ Northey St, NEWMARKET. You should be able to find them at fruit and vege stores.
You can also get them premade at organic/health food stores if you're too lazy to cook but seriously, they are dead easy to make.

3 comments:

  1. Yum!! I want to give this a go. I think I've seen it at my local fresh produce market and I have heard about how good kale is, just didn't know what to do with it (apart from blending it which I wasn't keen on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey! They are delicious and a great way to eat your greens and cut any unhealthy food cravings. I also put them in frittatas and pasta sauces (where you can 'hide' it).

      Delete
  2. They look so easy to do Nina! Great idea :).

    ReplyDelete